When it comes to selling home care services, positioning yourself as the expert is one way to stand out from the crowd.
When it comes to getting that message out, one way to get the job done is with face-to-face communication. And, rather than one-on-one, you get more leverage if you are reaching more people. And if those people have an interest already, then all the better.
And what people should you reach and how should you go about it? First, look at your marketing plan. Hopefully you are tracking where you get referrals, and that includes not only what types of referrals are your best, but where are they located. Then, you systematically start trying to get in front of groups of those folks. It may be an association meeting for a disease organization, or an in-service for aides at a nursing home. Church and community groups oftentimes seek speakers on interesting topics.
And instead of selling your services, try educating on some aspect of frailty or disease that might be of interest to the group. For instance, elder law attorneys may want to know options for finding good care. There are liabilities and risks associated with hiring private aides that attorneys or trust officers may not have realized. And for senior groups, how about discussing when one knows it is time to seek assistance. What are signs of stress and burnout or malnourishment? And how does one seek assistance. And what does ‘assistance” mean? Are there contracts and set hours, or can the person seeking care have input into the caregiver and the duties.
First make a list of all the things that you do know, and then look for ways to get in front of people to educate them about what you know. Below are some tips to help you identify – even create – good speaking opportunities, and overcome your anxiety to deliver a lecture that’s informative, persuasive and effective at getting inquiries that may turn into new business.
1) Seek out venues where you’ll reach your target audience. A home care agency has a number of target markets to reach. Several come to mind immediately: funeral home directors, children of elderly parents, associations that cater to those one have frailties, like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s or cancer. Call them up and find out if you can speak at their next meeting.
2) Choose a topic that’s of interest to the audience. You simply can’t deliver a speech on why your agency is the best, or on what your agency does. You need to give a speech that’s informative about an important issue in which the audience is interested. If your audience is senior citizens, give a speech on how proper nutrition can improve bone density. If it’s physicians, talk about how they can improve patient satisfaction by referring families to home health agencies rather than nursing homes.
3) Partner with other speakers. If you’re giving a speech on fall prevention, consider partnering with a local homebuilder who can provide tips on redesigning the home to eliminate obstacles for elderly loved ones with limited motor skills. They’ll likely jump at the chance to do it for the good PR – plus, it will cast your agency in a positive light while positioning you as an expert.
4) Consider inducements. Inducements such as refreshments, door prizes, raffles, etc. provide incentive for people to attend your event. The more attendees there are, the greater the likelihood is that you’ll win new clients. It may mean forking over a little bit of cash, but that could be money well spent if it translates into new business. And giving away a plant or a flower and asking them to put their information on a card to be eligible will give you contact information after the talk.
5) Bring an informative handout. The main purpose of the seminar IS to win new business, so giving the audience something to take home with your information on it will let them know to call if any needs arise.
Want some tips on public speaking from Toastmasters? Click here.
No one wants to place the care of their elderly loved one into just anyone’s hands. By talking and looking like an expert who is knowledgeable, experienced, compassionate and thorough, your company can cement its place as the go-to agency for in home care.
And if you need materials to accompany a presentation, check out corecubed’s excellent monthly marketing program that we call MOST. It is robust in its information, and is perfect for positioning as an expert.